Monday 18 July 2011

Monday 18th July 2011


First day at the office. I have come home with actual swollen feet. Turns out I did NOT bring any heat-appropriate shoes... I received my outline of company policies this afternoon which had some madness on it! So if you are a 'legally married couple' you are entitled to more 'childcare' and maternity leave days than if you are a single mother. I wonder if thats an Asia thing or just my company... If you are sick you have to sit in a hospital to wait to see an emergency doctor and get a note, otherwise pay will be deducted for your leave, even if its just a bad cold! The office shuts down between Christmas and New Year though which is lovely.


Work itself was ups and downs. I was seriously bored (usual first day stuff) and people really do look at you like you committed a crime if you get up to leave on time! Its also hard being in an office full of people speaking Singlish which I don't understand a word of. On the other hand, I have already met some lovely people and I really like my team, which basically consists of me and another young designer (a couple of years more experienced than me) and then we share a design assistant which is great. Not used to having someone help me! Both of the girls are from California. I had Thai food for lunch with a local girl and a girl from Bangkok and then THE most amazing fruit salad from a random stall. I should be hitting Bali soon too as I am currently working on a hotel there. 


Fingers crossed the long hours will get easier once I get over this jetlag, and tiredness and get used to the heat which is still almost unbearable right now. Oh, and figure out what 'sensible footwear' is...Tomorrow I need to go to the hospital to get a medical check up which I need in order to get my work pass. 


Hx

No comments:

Post a Comment