Sunday 17 July 2011

Sunday 17th July 2011

For the past four days I have had two thoughts running through my head..... 'Im lost' and 'It is BOILING!'

Singapore is beautiful. I have never seen anywhere when a beach turns into a rain forest like it does here, or where every condo block is like a hotel resort. Yesterday I viewed a flat which actually had an aqua gym - yes, treadmills under water! I am staying in Robertson Quay which is basically a community running around a river. You walk down the river any time of day or night and find amazing food, locals and tourists and are serenaded by music the whole way down.

Went for coffee this afternoon with an American girl, a girl from the UK and an Aussie and learnt a lot about the area which was great. First day at work tomorrow - looking forward to it but imagine I am going to spend most of the day at the ministry of manpower waiting for my work pass. I picked up my 'Oyster' equivalent for the MTR today so feel like I am finally getting the hang of public transport! Cant believe it is only going to cost me 91c to get to work (50p ish) a nice change from London prices. The other thing that is different to London, but in a greater sense, is the living arrangements. When renting a room, there don't seem to be any kind of formal tenancy agreements, just a 'lead tenant' who rents an apartment, and then lets the other rooms to other random people. There also doesn't seem to be much of a social sense amongst house sharing. I think my next move is to find someone I would like to live with, and then look for two available rooms in the same apartment.

I have explored the East coast a little bit, which is really lovely, as well as Holland village and Orchard Road. Yes, my feet hurt a lot.

Hx

No comments:

Post a Comment